Victoria Walks and the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) will host the sixth annual Smart Urban Futures conference on 21 and 22 March 2019.
Keynote speakers include:
- Lynn Richards, President and CEO, Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU), Washington DC, USA
A widely recognized smart growth expert, Lynn leads one of the key organisations in the new urbanism movement. Previously, she had a long and distinguished career at the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), holding multiple leadership roles including Policy Director of the Office of Sustainable Communities.
- Dongho Chang, City Traffic Engineer, City of Seattle, USA
Once described by Streetsblog as “the coolest traffic engineer ever”, Dongho Chang has been instrumental in Seattle’s Complete Streets approach, where streets have been re-imagined as a place for walking, cycling and public transport, as well as cars.
- Susanne Legena, CEO, Plan International Australia
Susanne leads the Australian arm of an organisation dedicated to tackling the injustices facing girls around the World. The Free to Be project, shedding light on young women and girls’ experience of street harassment, was piloted in Melbourne before going global.
- Greg Vann, Director Planning, Ethos Urban
A Life Fellow of the Planning Institute of Australia, Greg was project director of the South East Queensland Regional Plan, and chair of the State’s Transit Oriented Development Taskforce.
Key conference themes are:
- Delivering 20-Minute Neighbourhoods
- Building healthy communities
- Practical pathways for implementing complete streets, alongside the realities of transport economics
- Taking #MeToo to the street – women’s experience of public space and how councils can help
- The economics of local neighbourhoods – staying one step ahead of Amazon, the sharing economy and the connection between walkability, street trees and property value.
The conference will conclude with an opportunity to experience innovative street design on the ground, with a Walkshop hosted by the City of Darebin.