Looking for dog-friendly walks?
- Join the pack at our Victorian Dog Walks group fon Facebook or the best tips from other dog owners about great places for walking on and off-lead in Victoria.
- Use our free Walking Maps website to search your area and tick 'Dog off-leash area' for walks featuring a free-roaming space for your pup.
Great dog walks in Melbourne (click links for maps and photos):
- Jells Park walk (note: dogs not allowed in the conservation area)
- Yarra Bend Park walk
- Princes Park loop walk, Carlton North (includes two leash-free areas)
- Altona Dog beach walk (includes off-leash)
- Gloucester Reserve, Williamstown (dogs not permitted in Jawbone Marine Reserve section)
- Royal Park walk (includes numerous leash-free areas, but stay away from Nature Play playground)
- Lilydale Lake walk
- Darebin Parklands (note: has only one off-leash area and some areas where dogs not permitted)
- Wilson Botanic Park walk, Berwick (on-lead only but lovely!)
- Finns' Reserve, Yarra Bend, Templestowe (Note: dogs not permitted Wombat Bend playground)
- Mathias forest track and Olinda Golf Course dog-friendly walk (Olinda, The Dandenongs)
*Please note that dogs must be on-lead along Mathias Track as it runs adjacent to the Dandenong Ranges National Park.
Great dog walks outside Melbourne (on-lead unless specified):
- You Yangs East West walk
- Kurth Kiln walk, Gembrook
- Lake Elizabeth walk, the Otways (more info on dogs in the Otways)
- Apollo Bay (includes off-leash beach)
- Airey's inlet cliff top walk (includes an off-leash beach)
- Shallow Inlet to Sandy Point (near Wilsons Promontory)
- Traralgon Railway Reserve
- Mansfield Botanic Park
- Hustler's Reef Reserve, Bendigo (short walk includes off leash area)
Mornington Peninsula Shire (thanks to star map-maker Keeley!)
- McCrae dog-friendly beach walk (includes an off-leash beach)
- Safety Beach dog walk, Mornington Peninsula (includes an off-leash beach)
- Tassels Cove, Safety Beach (includes off-leash beach)
- Hillview Reserve, Dromana, leash-free (new map, February 2019)
- Flinders' Beach dog-friendly walk Flinders
- Balcombe Estuary boardwalk circuit, Mount Martha (three off-leash areas!)
- Leash-free community forest walk, Mount Martha
- Mount Martha dog-lovers' beach walk
- Mornington dog-friendly walk
Do you prefer walks around your neighbourhood, or walks further afield?
You might find these sites helpful:
- Victoria Walks' dog walks Facebook group Join to get information about new dog-walking maps and to get tips from other Melbourne and Victorian dog-lovers.
- Walking Maps tick 'dog off-leash' and refine by area for walks that feature an off-leash area. Note: this option only appears from desktop . Mobile phone view available here.
Of course, it goes without saying that you and your dog will need to share these spaces with other walkers. So please follow basic rules:
- Ensure your dog is on a lead, unless otherwise specified.
- Control your dog, especially around children and busy areas.
- Pick up your dog's poop.
- Check your local government website for information about off-leash areas.