** Incursion Program is currently not available **
Sessions are engaging, entertaining AND educational!
Victoria Walks is keen to support school communities encourage children to become healthier, happier and more active by walking. We invite your school to participate in our Primary School Incursion Program.
- Suitable for Grades 4 to 6
- Class sized groups
- 50 to 60 min sessions – negotiated to suit your timetable
- Follow up and support material (curriculum linked) provided for teachers
- Ideas and resources to encourage and involve parents in walking – particularly to and from school
Walkshop 1: My School Walking*
During the session students will:
- Explore “important” places of their local neighbourhood
- Discuss the concept of Walkability
- Consider their journey to and from school and perceived barriers to walking. Ideas such as “Stop and Drop” and “Part Way is OK” will be discussed.
- Be introduced to Walking Maps and learn basic skills to plot a chosen route
* Access to a reliable internet connection and a class set of computers or iPads is required.
Walkshop 2: Measuring Smart Steps
An activity based introduction to using pedometers. Pedometers are a simple tool that can help establish activity levels and then challenge step taking habits. They can also provide interesting and engaging ways to replace sitting lessons with walking ones!
Activities completed in this session have a maths and science focus. Students create and conduct fair and reasonable tests and discover their individual step statistics.
A copy of Smart Steps Count will be provided and class set of pedometers will be available for loan (for Achievement Program schools) post the session to enable follow up activities to be completed.
Pedometers are also available for purchase from Victoria Walks.
- FREE for schools registered with the Achievement Program.
- Fees apply for all other schools. Please contact Leigh to discuss.
- Only a limited number of bookings are available. Please book early to avoid disappointment!
- For more information and bookings, please contact: Leigh Cawood, htc[AT]victoriawalks.org.au; 9662 3975.